Friday, November 5, 2010

Journey of 26.2 Miles Begins With a Single Step

First post on this blog...I'm hoping to keep everyone updated with my journey to the LA Marathon 2011 with the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Team in Training.  I'm training with the Long Beach group - which is ironic since I just moved OUT of Long Beach...so I'll be driving to my old stomping grounds to run.

Our first group run is tomorrow morning - a short 30 minute run, according to the email.  I'm looking forward to it since I haven't run since doing the Disneyland Half Marathon back in September.

I'm thrilled to be running this race for a cause that is so, so close to my heart.  Volunteering at CHOC years ago put me in contact with so many children who were battling blood cancers.  Hearing about all the choices the parents were having to make about treatment for their children was heartbreaking - watching them go through chemotherapy was even harder.  Through the years after that experience, I would donate to LLS as much as possible, even doing the Light the Night Walk a few times.

It became even more personal, however, when a good friend of mine was diagnosed with lymphoma.  Our daughters are good friends, and of course the worst case scenarios all ran through my head.  This renewed my desire to do everything I can to support the cause of the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society - so that patients like the children at CHOC get the support they need, and to support research that might find a cure for blood cancers.

I hope you'll follow my journey here - tomorrow I take my first step of thousands.



*********************************************************************************
 MY FUNDRAISING PAGE:
http://pages.teamintraining.org/los/la11/jpenner
*********************************************************************************



Peace,
Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment